Best Git books for beginner, professional programmers and open source developers
Git is an open-source software used for version control. Git can help you get your deleted code back, revert the code, share and exchange code with other developers easily and much much more. Git can be used by many professionals including developers, designers, etc. Here you will get some of the best Git books.
A lot of modern books on Git don’t go into depth about non-technical topics. Beginning Git and GitHub will help you cover all the bases right at the start of your career.
What You'll Learn
- Review basic and advanced concepts of Git
- Apply Project Management skills using GitHub
- Solve conflicts or, ideally, avoid them altogether
- Use advanced concepts for a more boosted workflow
Written by a GitHub engineer, this book is packed with insight on how GitHub works and how you can use it to become a more effective, efficient, and valuable member of any collaborative programming team.
- Store and share your work online with GitHub
- Collaborate with others on your team or across the international coding community
- Embrace open-source values and processes
- Establish yourself as a valuable member of the GitHub community
Git is the most popular version control system in the world. It allows developers to keep up with frequent code changes in a project, ensures there are no code conflicts between the developers, and reverts to an older version of code when required.
What you will learn
- Create and clone repositories
- Understand the difference between local and remote repositories
- Use, manage, and merge branches back into the main branch
- Utilize tools to manage merge conflicts
- Manage commits on your local machine through interactive rebasing
- Use the log to gain control over all the data in your repository
- Use bisect, blame, and other tools to undo Git mistakes
This is a great book for those who are into this kind of book and who want to know more information about Git. It contains many new and effective steps and information about Git. In this book, Adney Ainsley mainly works with Git remote repository.
By reading this book you'll know the following things about Git
- It is a version control system for tracking changes in computer files and coordinating work on those files among multiple people
- It is primarily used for source code management in software development
- It can be used to keep track of changes in any set of files
- It is aimed at speed, data integrity, and support for distributed, non-linear workflows.
Read The Baby-Git Guidebook for Developers and learn how Git is coded. AnalytixBar LLC, the writer of this book show us how the code works. A wide range of audiences will find this book as an efficient resource.
Some features are
- This book is written in the C programming language
- Consists of about 1,000 lines of code
- A total of 7 commands
- The simplicity and "smallness" of the code make Baby-Git the perfect codebase for curious developers.
Ry's Git Tutorial gives you an excellent, friendly introduction to Git and is for someone who does not use Git yet. Here you will get all things in sequential order with concise writing and clear diagrams. Git is a necessary tool for professional programmers and is popular among open-source developers.
If you are a beginner then after reading this book you will be able to
- Experiment with new ideas
- Refactor existing code
- Efficiently share changes with other developers.
Here you'll get
- The entire Git library
- Writing code and executing commands
- Revert snapshots
- Navigate branches.
This is a fully updated Pro Git book from which you’ll learn how to master the world of distributed version workflow, use the distributed features of Git to the full, and extend Git to meet your every need. This book includes a short history of Git, Git basics, command lines, and show you the step of Git installation.
- Git basics
- Git branching
- Git on the server
- Distributed Git
- Git tools
- Customizing Git
- Git and other systems
- Git internals
There includes a summary at the end of every chapter to help you quickly learn things.
This book is a useful and enjoyable tool for programmers, managers and those having a computer science background. From this book, you'll learn how to use Git for several real-world development scenarios, gain insight into Git’s common-use cases, initial tasks, and basic functions. You can use the system for both centralized and distributed version control and learn how to manage merges, conflicts, patches, and diffs.
This book covers many things. Some are in the following
- Installing Git
- Getting started
- Basic concepts
- File management and the index
- Commits branches
- Merge examples
- Altering commits
- The stash and the Reflog
- Remote repositories
- Repository management.
This is a step by step ultimate beginners guide that helps the beginners learn the basic functionality of Git version control system. This is highly recommended for those who are interested to learn version control with Git. It provides many useful Git commands with practical concepts.
- How to create a new depository
- Different operations like Clone Pull Push HEΑD Revision
- How to use Git for project version control in a distributed environment while working on web-based and non-web-based applications development.
All topics are explained with well-defined examples. Explanations are provided in a good way that is why it is a well-recommended guide for all.
Learn Version Control with Git is a must-read book for the beginner having a little background knowledge. It helps you to understand VCS basics and Git and covers many additional topics like Shell basics and SSH. It includes lots of diagrams with detailed explanations. Some top projects like the Linux Kernel, Ruby On Rails, or jQuery use Git as their version control system of choice.
It provides you
- Basic topics from installing Git to a "Command Line 101"
- Branching and Merging
- Advanced topics
- Tools and services
- Charts & graphics.
A Practical Guide to Git and Github for Windows Users helps you to install, configure and use Git and GitHub on the Windows platform. It is a well-recommended book for the beginner as well as expert level through a series of engaging exercises.
From this book, you'll learn
- How to install and configure Git and GitHub on Windows
- Git Bash console to work with Git like a pro
- Track changes in a software project with Git
- How to showcase your work on GitHub
- The Git repository and Git workflows
- How to do real-world projects.
This book contains two parts. The first part contains three chapters and the second part contains twelve chapters. This book helps you get into the Git mindset and help you integrate the Git model into your real-world workflow.
A good reference book for experienced people that learn you the Git versions of common source management concepts and commands. It can be used as a primary source control tool by more than 40 percent of software developers.
- What is Git?
- Key concepts
- The Git promotion model
- Using Git
- Configuration and setup
- Getting productive
- Tracking changes
- working with changes over time and using tags
- Working with local branches
- Merging contents
- Supporting files in Git.
This book shows you how to use GIT with your coding efforts. It contains many real-world examples, good tutorials and is straight, to the point guide for everyone.
- Ruby on rails
- Lots about mysterious modern software tool Git
- A practical introduction to version control with Git.