Best SQL Books 2020 | Take Your Skill to a New Level
Structured Query Language (SQL) is the most popular language used to create, access, manipulate, query and manage databases. The language was developed in the 1970s. Since then, it has become the standard language used to communicate with various relational database management systems (RDMS), including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase, PostgreSQL, Informix, and MySQL.
There are a lot of books available to learn SQL for both beginners and advanced learners. Here you will get the best SQL books in 2020 which will help you to go further in your career. In these books, you will find practical tips and detailed instructions on how to learn the SQL language more efficiently and effectively.
Trying to learn SQL? Look no further. Whether you're an application developer, database administrator, web application designer, mobile app developer, or Microsoft Office users, a good working knowledge of SQL is an important part of interacting with databases.
This SQL book starts with simple data retrieval and quickly going on to more complex topics including the use of joins, subqueries, stored procedures, cursors, triggers, and table constraints. The book itself is in full color, which is a nice touch, and the paper is of high quality. It provides lots of notes and hints along the way to help bolster your understanding.
This book features:
- Understanding SQL.
- Retrieving Data.
- Sorting Retrieving Data.
- Filtering Data.
- Advanced-Data Filtering.
- Using Wildcard Filtering.
- Creating Calculated Fields.
- Using Data Manipulation Functions.
- Summarizing Data.
- Grouping Data.
- Working with subqueries.
- Joining Tables.
- Creating Advanced Joins.
- Combining Queries.
- Inserting Data.
- Updating and Deleting Data.
- Create and Manipulating Tables.
- Using Views.
- Working with Stored Procedures.
- Managing Transaction Procedures.
- Using Cursors.
- Understanding Advanced SQL Features.
This book is really good if you are looking for a beginner's guide in SQL. This has the very basics in SQL like how to create, insert and delete tables in a SQL database. It also gives us knowledge on how to pose queries that we are dealing with in SQL, how to join tables and read the questions and how to convert them into SQL queries.
There are many examples and practice exercises to get a complete grip on SQL commands and queries. It also has complex commands and the end for creating views for your queries which are very good.
It also helps you understand normalization and how different companies use different normalizations and helps classify them so you get a good understanding of the topic.
This book offers:
- The Fundamentals of SQL Programming Syntax.
- Retrieving Data with SQL.
- Built-in Functions and Calculations.
- Entering and Modifying Data.
- Defining Databases.
With the help of this book, you will get real-world practice problems to bring your SQL skills to the next level. Learning how to solve these problems will give you the skills and confidence to step up in your career.
You can get the level of experience by solving sets of targeted problems. These are the most common problems you encounter when you deal with the data. This book will help you how to think in SQL, how to analyze data problems, figure out the fundamentals, and work towards solution that you can be proud of.
It will enhance your ability to write high-quality SQL code.
This book provides:
- Setup instructions for MS SQL Server Express Edition 2016 and SQL Server Management Studio 2016.
- A customized sample database, with a video walk-through on setting it up.
- Practice problems - 57 problems that you work through step-by-step.
- Answers and a short, targeted discussion section on each question, with alternative answers and tips on usage and good programming practice.
- Easy to read and understand.
This book represents complex SQL concepts broken down into simple steps to ensure that you can easily master SQL even if you never coded before. Examples are given to illustrate all concepts. The complete process from database creation, table creation, data insertion, manipulation, retrieval is covered.
The flow of the book is carefully planned to help you follow along. All the concepts are presented in a 'to-the-point' style to cater to the busy individual.
This book offers:
- Introduction to SQL.
- Defining the Database.
- Defining Tables.
- Inserting, Deleting and Updating.
- Selecting Data.
- Views and Triggers.
- Variables and Stored Routines.
- Control Flow Tools.
- Cursor and Project.
This is an excellent guide that takes you step-by-step through the basics of learning SQL. It is well organized and is useful as a reference to start with SQL. If you want to learn SQL with no background knowledge of the language, this should be the very first book.
Different functions of SQL are presented throughout the book in a manner that makes them very easy to understand. It is a great textbook with practical and down-to-earth examples, exercises, and instructions. The content is broken into short, easily digestible segments that you can pick up quickly.
This book features:
- Getting Started with SQL.
- Creating a Database.
- Creating Tables.
- SQL Constraints.
- Select, Deleting Records.
- SQL Joins and Unions.
- Date and Time.
- MySQL Transactions.
- SQL Views.
- Temporary Tables, Cloning Tables.
- SQL Subqueries.
- SQL Aliases and SQL Injection.
This book offers:
- Creating Your First Database and Table.
- Beginning Data Exploration with Select.
- Understanding Data Types.
- Importing and Exporting Data.
- Basic Math and Stats with SQL.
- Joining Tables in a Relational Database.
- Table Design.
- Extracting Information by Grouping and Summarizing.
- Inspecting and Modifying Data.
- Statistical Functions in SQL.
- Working with Date and Time.
- Advanced Query Techniques.
- Mining Text to Find Meaningful Data.
- Analyzing Spatial Data with Postgis.
- Saving time with Views, Functions, and Triggers.
- Using PostgreSQL from Command-Line.
- Maintaining your Database.
- Identifying and Telling the Story Behind the Data.
- Additional PostgreSQL Resources.
This book aims to take you to a professional level of understanding of SSIS. The book is an easy read, the authors have taken the time to explain things in a clear yet concise manner.
This is the classic SSIS manual and related data warehousing. It has been updated with each release. Most of the examples are based on the sample Microsoft databases, allowing you to follow along, any additional files can be downloaded from the publisher.
There's a helpful summary at the end of each chapter and useful links between the chapters. There are plenty of incidental tips introduced during the discussions A good and useful book but typical of this series contains a lot of detail. Really easy to follow and detailed.
This book contains:
- Introduction to SQL Server Integration Process.
- The SSIS Tools.
- SSIS Tasks and Data Flow.
- Using Variables, Parameters, and Expressions.
- Containers and Joining Data.
- Creating an End-to-End Package.
- Scripting an SSIS.
- Advanced-Data Cleansing in SSIS.
- Incremental Loads in SSIS.
- Loading a Data Warehouse.
- Using a Relational Engine.
- Accessing Heterogeneous Data.
- Reliability and Scalability.
- Understanding and Tuning the Data Flow Engine.
- SSIS Software Development Lifecycle.
- Error and Event Handling.
- Programming and Extending SSIS.
- Adding a User Interface to your component.
- External Management and WMI Task Implementation.
- Administering SSIS.
This is by far the most complete and detailed interview book to prepare you for Microsoft SQL Server DBA interviews. It has covered almost everything that a DBA needs to know and the most beautiful thing is that Mr. Uday has shared his own interviews.
All of these questions have been collected from the people who attended interviews at various multinational companies across the world.
This book provides:
- SQL Server Architecture.
- Installation and Architecture.
- SQL Server Security.
- Backup and Restore.
- SQL Server Log Shipping.
- Database Mirroring.
- SQL Server Replication.
- Failover Clustering.
- SQL Server ALWAYSON.
- Concurrency and Locking.
- SQL Server Performance Tuning.
- DBA General and DBA Articles.