Best Swift 4 programing books for IOS App Development
Swift is a powerful and intuitive programming language for macOS, iOS, watchOS, and tvOS. It is easy to learn and deploy in your application. Swift is the result of the latest research on programming languages, combined with decades of experience building Apple platforms.
Compare to Swift 3 New Feature on Swift 4
- Faster, easier to use Strings that retain Unicode correctness.
- Add support for creating, using and managing substrings
- Smart key paths for type-safe, efficient, extensible key-value coding for Swift types
- Enhancements to create and manipulate Dictionary and Set types
- Extends support of archival and serialization to struct and enum types
- Enables type-safety for serializing to external formats such as JSON and plist
- Enforced exclusive access to memory
Dive into the latest release of the Swift programming language with this advanced development book for building highly performant applications.
About This Book
- Harness the latest and most advanced features of Swift 4 to develop quality iOS and macOS applications
- Comprehensive coverage of all the advanced features of Swift and guidance on advanced design techniques
- Dive deep into protocol extensions, learn new error handling model, and use featured Swift design patterns to write more efficient code
- Get to grips with advanced design techniques to write smarter, cleaner Swift code
Who This Book Is For
This book is for developers who want to delve into the newest version of Swift. If you are a developer who learns best by looking at and working with code, then this book is for you. A basic understanding of Apple's tools is beneficial but not mandatory.
What You Will Learn
- Delve into the core components of Swift 4.0, including operators, collections, control flows, and functions
- Create and use classes, structures, and enumerations
- Understand protocol-oriented design and see how it can help you write better code
- Develop a practical understanding of subscripts and extensions
- Add concurrency to your applications using Grand Central Dispatch and Operation Queues
- Implement generics and closures to write very flexible and reusable code
- Make use of Swift's error handling and availability features to write safer code
Swift is the definitive language for Apple development today. It's a vital part of any iOS and macOS developer's skillset, helping them to build the most impressive and popular apps on the App Store the sort of apps that are essential to iPhone and iPad users every day. With version 4.0, the Swift team has added new features to improve the development experience, making it easier to get the results you want and customers expect.
Inside, you'll find the key features of Swift 4.0 and quickly learn how to use the newest updates to your development advantage. From Objective-C interoperability and ARC to closures and concurrency, this advanced Swift guide will develop your expertise and help you become fluent in this vital programming language.
We'll give you an in-depth knowledge of some of the most sophisticated elements of Swift development, including protocol extensions, error-handling, design patterns, and concurrency. We'll guide you on how to use and apply them in your own projects. You'll see how to leverage the power of protocol-oriented programming to write flexible and easier-to-manage code.
Table of Contents
- Taking the First Steps with Swift
- Learning about Variables, Constants, Strings & Operators
- Using Swift Collections & the Tuple Type
- Control Flow & Functions
- Classes & Structures
- Using Protocols & Protocol Extensions
- Protocol-Oriented Design
- Writing Safer Code with Availability & Error Handling
- Custom Subscripting
- Using Optional Types
- Working with Generics
- Working with Closures
- Using Mix & Match
- Concurrency & Parallelism in Swift
- Swift Formatting & Style Guide
- Swift Core Libraries
- Adopting Design Patterns in Swift
- Write robust and efficient code and avoid common pitfalls using Swift 4
- Features comprehensive coverage of the tools and techniques needed to create multi-platform apps with Swift 4
- Packed with easy-to-follow recipes, this book will help you develop code using the latest version of Swift
Swift 4 is an exciting, multi-platform, general-purpose programming language. Being open source, modern and easy to use has made Swift one of the fastest growing programming languages. If you interested in exploring it, then this book is what you need.
The book begins with an introduction to the basic building blocks of Swift 4, its syntax and the functionalities of Swift constructs. Then, introduces you to Apple's Xcode 9 IDE and Swift Playgrounds, which provide an ideal platform to write, execute, and debug the codes so that you can initiate your development process. Next, you'll learn to bundle variables into tuples, set order to your data with an array, store key-value pairs with dictionaries and you'll learn how to use the property observers. Later, explore the decision-making and control structures in Swift and learn how to handle errors in Swift 4.
Then you'll examine the advanced features of Swift, generics and operators, and explore the functionalities outside of the standard library, provided by frameworks such as Foundation and UIKit. Also, you'll explore advanced features of Swift Playgrounds. At the end of the book, you'll learn server-side programming aspect of Swift 4 and see how to run Swift on Linux and investigate Vapor, one of the most popular server-side frameworks for Swift.
What you will learn
- Explore basic to advanced concepts in Swift 4 programming
- Unleash advanced features of Apple's Xcode 9 IDE and Swift Playgrounds
- Learn about the conditional statements, loops, and how to handle errors in Swift
- Define flexible classes and structs using Generics, learn about advanced operators, and create custom operators
- Explore functionalities outside of the standard libraries of Swift
- Import your own custom functionality into Swift Playgrounds
- Run Swift on Linux and investigate server-side programming with the server side framework Vapor
About the Author
Keith Moon is an award-winning iOS developer, author and speaker based in London. He has worked with some of the biggest companies in the world to create engaging and personal mobile experiences. Keith has been developing in Swift since its release, working on projects both fully Swift, and mixed Swift and Objective-C. Keith has been invited to speak about Swift development in conferences from Moscow to Minsk and London.
Table of Contents
- Swift Building Blocks
- Building on the Building Blocks
- Data Wrangling with Swift Control Flow
- Generics, Operators and Nested Types
- Beyond The Standard Library
- Swift Playgrounds
- Server-side Swift
- Performance and Responsiveness in Swift
Learn How To Program with Swift 4!
Swift is the easiest way to get started developing on Apple's platforms: iOS, OS X, watchOS and tvOS. With the release of Swift 4 in 2017, the Swift language is packed with even more features and enhancements.
In this book, you'll learn the basics of Swift from getting started with playgrounds to simple operations to building your own types. Everything you'll learn is platform-neutral; you'll have a firm understanding of Swift by the end of this book, and you'll be ready to move on to whichever app platform you're interested in.
Who This Book Is For:
This book is for complete beginners to Swift 4. No prior programming experience is necessary!
Topics Covered in The Swift Apprentice
- Playground basics: Learn about the coding environment where you can quickly and easily try out your code as you learn.
- Numbers and strings: These are the basic kinds of data in any app – learn how to use them in Swift.
- Making Decisions: Your code doesn't always run straight through – learn how to use conditions and decide what to do.
- Functions: Group your code together into reusable chunks to run and pass around.
- Collection Types: Discover the many ways Swift offers to store and organize data into collections.
- Building Your Own Types: Learn how to model elements in your app using classes, structures and enumerations.
- Protocols & Protocol-Oriented Programming: Define protocols to make your code more interface-based and compositional.
- Error Handling: Make your code more robust and flexible by signaling and handling error conditions gracefully.
- Functional Programming: Learn how to use Swift in a functional style and how this can make your code clearer and easier to reason about.
After reading this book and completing your Swift apprenticeship by working through the included exercises and challenges, you'll be ready to take on app development on the platform of your choice!
Through the authors' carefully constructed explanations and examples, you will develop an understanding of Swift grammar and the elements of effective Swift style. The Big Nerd Ranch Guide will teach you what you need to know about Apple’s newest language. You can find which new feature on swift 4. If you are a developer of swift 3 then you can easily move on swift 4 by the guideline of this books.
What's New in this Book
- How to develop your own solutions to a wide range of programming challenges.
- The basics of conditions and switches, as well as enums.
- How to deploy advanced Swift protocols.
- You will develop an understanding of Swift grammar
- How to develop the apps with elements of effective Swift style.
- How to navigate Xcode 8
- Get the most out of Apple's documentation