Career Pathway in Ethical Hacking
Ethical HackingÂ is the process of attempting to penetrate computer systems, intrusion testing and networks with the intention of identifying weaknesses and vulnerabilities that could be exploited by malicious hackers. Any information uncovered is then used to improve the systems security and plug loopholes. Its a skill in high demand.
Ethical hacking involves the use of hacking tools, tricks, and techniques to identify vulnerabilities so as to ensure system security. It focuses on simulating techniques used by attackers to verify the existence of exploitable vulnerabilities in system security. Ethical hackers perform the security assessment of their organization with the permission of concerned authorities.
The Essential SkillsÂ Needed to become a master Hacker are as follows:
- Basic Computer Skills (not just MS Word but using the command line, editing the registry and setting up a network.
- Networking Skills (e.g. understanding routers and switches, internet protocols, advanced TCP/IP, etc).
- Linux Skills (non-negotiable).
- Hacker Tools (e.g. Wireshark, TcpDump, Kali Linux, etc).
- Security Concepts and Technologies (e.g. SSL, IDS, firewalls, etc).
- Wireless Technologies.
- Scripting (e.g Perl, BASH, Windows PowerShell, etc).
- Database Skills (starting with SQL).
- Web Programming and Applications (how hackers target them).
- Digital Forensics.
- Cryptography (encryption).
- Reverse Engineering.
Things You Need to do to start Career in Ethical Hacking are:
- Understand the Different Types of Hacking: Hacking is quite a controversial term, and that isn't without reasons. There are distinctive kinds of hackers for various purposes, White Hat, Black Hat, and Gray Hat. White Hats and Gray Hats by and large utilize their hacking abilities for the great (ethical hacking), while Black Hats utilize their aptitudes for illegal employment. Since they serve distinctive intentions, companies make use of every one of them. You would need to focus mainly on becoming a Penetration Tester since most moral hackers are used for this activity. Penetration Testing recognizes the vulnerabilities in a system or an application to shield it from outside assaults. It is done to inform the organization of the faults in their system.
- Assess your Skills and Academics: There is no settled criteria for becoming a hacker. Each organization has its own particular necessities, however a degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or Mathematics will establish an incredible foundation for your ethical hacking profession. Aside from this, the aptitudes you should have as an ethical hacker are great critical thinking, capacity to deal with pressure and to be sharp on IT terms with an approach to think out of the box.
- Learn Programming: As an ethical hacker, you will be chipping away at frameworks all day, consequently a decent command over programming languages, for example, C++, Java, PHP, Python, and so forth is basic. Additionally, learn more about operating systems, for example, UNIX, Windows, LINUX and IOS. There are sites that offer programming courses, for example, Coursera, Udemy, Simplilearn, etc.
- Refresh your Knowledge Base: Your learning ought not be constrained by your educational background. As you breathe, a new update in the tech world comes by, There are new hacking updates coming up each day so you should stay updated. Organizations wouldn't have any desire to contract you simply because you have an affirmation; you have to emerge and give them a strong motivation behind why you are the most qualified Hacker nearby.
- Get Certified:Â The CEH (certification in Ethical hacking) helps establish and govern minimum standards for professional information security specialists in ethical hacking measures. It is a professional way to inform individuals and enterprises that there are individuals who meet or exceed the minimum standards in ethical hacking; Not to mention but can also help reiterate an important point that ethical hacking can be a self-regulating profession.
Ethical Hacking Job Trends
Growing at a rate that is outpacing all other areas of IT, CyberSecurity has emerged as a high-growth-field of 2017, and possibly of the entire decade. During the 5 years between 2012 and 2017, listings for cybersecurity jobs increased by a whopping 75% according to the analysis made by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This has led to a lot of unfilled positions so jobs are plenty and they pay well too.
How much Money an Ethical Hacker can make?
Certified ethical hackers make an average annual income ofÂ $80,074, according to International Standard. The average starting salary for a certified ethical hacker isÂ $95,000, according to EC-Council senior director Steven Graham. The founder of NoWiresSecurity, Eric Geier, estimates a more conservativeÂ $50,000 to $100,000 per yearÂ in the first years of work depending on your employer, experience and education. Those with a few years of experience can pullÂ $120,000 and upwards per year, particularly those who work as independent consultants.
Ethical Hacking Job Profiles
Learning Ethical Hacking brings many doors in your career. You can choose any of them like:
- Information Security Analyst.
- Security Analyst.
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH).
- Ethical Hacker.
- Security Consultant, (Computing / Networking / Information Technology).
- Information Security Manager.
- Penetration Tester.
- Forensic Analyst.
You can also work in:
- Financial Institutions.
- Aviation Industry.
- Government IT Sector.
- Security Agencies.
- Defense Organisations.
- Telecommunications Sector.
- Immigration Services.
- Diplomatic Setups.
There are so many online tutorials and resources which can guide you to be a professional ethical hacker. Nowadays resources are so easy to get and access. Anyone can learn anything from anywhere. There is no limit to gaining knowledge. You can check ''Best Resources for Learning Ethical Hacking" to get a brief idea about the resources of Ethical Hacking.
Besides, books are the best supplement for learning anything well concisely. It will provide everything you need and make yourself a pro. Books are the best comprehensive reference and it will provide you the complete outline in brief. There are several books written by the experts which will help you to go through step-by-step. Make a start and shape up your plan to learn in a more efficient and effective way. For learning Ethical Hacking, you can take a look at:Â ''Best Books for learning Ethical Hacking".