Self-Driving Car Books | Learn how autonomous vehicles works
What you will learn
- Implement deep neural network from scratch using the Keras library
- Understand the importance of deep learning in self-driving cars
- Get to grips with feature extraction techniques in image processing using the OpenCV library
- Design a software pipeline that detects lane lines in videos
- Implement a convolutional neural network (CNN) image classifier for traffic signal signs
- Train and test neural networks for behavioural cloning by driving a car in a virtual simulator
- Discover various state-of-the-art semantic segmentation and object detection architectures
What you will learn
- Understand how to perform camera calibration
- Become well-versed with how lane detection works in self-driving cars using OpenCV
- Explore behavioural cloning by self-driving in a video-game simulator
- Get to grips with using lidars
- Discover how to configure the controls for autonomous vehicles
- Use object detection and semantic segmentation to locate lanes, cars, and pedestrians
- Write a PID controller to control a self-driving car running in a simulator
Key Features of this self driving car book:
- Offers a comprehensive technological walk-through of what really matters in SDV development: from hardware, software, to functional safety and cybersecurity
- Written by an active practitioner with extensive experience in series development and research in the fields of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) and Autonomous Driving
- Covers theoretical fundamentals of state-of-the-art SLAM, multi-sensor data fusion, and other SDV algorithms.
- Includes practical information and hands-on material with Robot Operating System (ROS) and Open Source Car Control (OSCC).
- Provides an overview of the strategies, trends, and applications which companies are pursuing in this field at present as well as other technical insights from the industry.
We're about to embark on a fantastic voyage. A journey that will bring about a new age of technological enlightenment, with the potential to produce a world of great abundance; if we can avoid screwing it all up. In this book, we'll talk about the many potholes that lie on the road to the future. And we'll discuss how YOU can be economically prepared for the transportation revolution that is currently underway. With over 150 renderings, diagrams, and illustrations, this book is an accessible, non-technical, and inspiring tour of the latter 21st century; and of the marvellous machines that will soon be chauffeuring you around town.
Throughout the book, the authors share their practical experiences designing autonomous vehicle systems.
These systems are complex, consisting of three major subsystems:
(1) algorithms for localization, perception, and planning and control;
(2) client systems, such as the robotics operating system and hardware platform; and
(3) the cloud platform, which includes data storage, simulation, high-definition (HD) mapping, and deep learning model training.
The algorithm subsystem extracts meaningful information from sensor raw data to understand its environment and make decisions as to its future actions. The client subsystem integrates these algorithms to meet real-time and reliability requirements. The cloud platform provides offline computing and storage capabilities for autonomous vehicles. Using the cloud platform, new algorithms can be tested so as to update the HD map--in addition to training better recognition, tracking, and decision models.
Self-driving cars have become a popular subject of discussion these days, and for good reason: driverless cars might just bring about the biggest societal revolution since, well, the industrial revolution, and it appears that everyone's getting in on it.
Driverless cars stand to solve all sorts of problems, like traffic delays and traffic collisions caused by driver error, but it doesn't stop there: autonomous vehicles will bring to market all sorts of new and exciting applications for a variety of industries, like shipping, transportation, and emergency transportation.
This book explores the dynamics that are being conjured up today in the self-driving ecosystem to gain a competitive edge. While incumbents re-brand themselves as mobility companies to be market-relevant, new entrants find differentiated revenue channels in industries awaiting disruption.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who is curious about major technological innovations that will influence everyone's lives in both obvious and subtle ways. This book fits that bill as regards autonomous vehicles. From societal benefits to the underlying technology to the applications and markets, this is an all-encompassing view.
I particularly enjoyed the specifics regarding the expected evolution of the technology as well as the comprehensive summary of the major industry players. Any technology benefiting from tens of billions of dollars being invested by the likes of Google, Apple, and every major auto manufacturer is something I want to understand and this book is the most comprehensive one I have found on this subject.
At this point, self-driving cars are firmly in the experimental phase in America and other countries as well. Nevertheless, hundreds of companies in the US, Europe and Asia are pursuing the development of self-driving cars, also known as autonomous vehicles. Using cutting-edge technology, these companies hope to develop cars that will transport passengers to their destinations without the need for humans at the controls of the vehicles.
Lasers have caused great changes in everything - ecology, geography, space applications and on and on. We all think the laser has been a great force for innovation in areas we might know well, but this book illuminates the changes on multiple fronts. It is packed with discovery and marvel at the cleverness of these discoveries.
This book is a treasure for all laypersons, students, and teachers. The historical details will definitely help and inspire people in the various LIDAR-developing and LIDAR-using professions.
A superb summary of lidar technology from the beginning to the current state and the future ahead. It covers almost all of the main technologies and the key people driving the development.
This is the only book of its kind that covers all the various ways you can get unstuck off-road. The category of “Self-Recovery” teaches you everything you need to know about how to get unstuck if you are travelling solo, without other vehicles. Topics within this category include field repair recovery, traction recovery, powered winch recovery, and hand-powered winch recovery.
The “Vehicle-Assisted Recovery” category teaches you how to get unstuck if other vehicles are travelling with you. Topics within this category include powered winching recovery, kinetic energy recovery, and towing recovery. For off-roaders and overlanders, there is no other book like this. It is the only complete treatise on the market that covers all aspects of off-road recovery.
Top expert Dr Lance B. Eliot provides the latest new insights about AI Autonomous Vehicles (AV) that are emerging as driverless self-driving cars and are progressively appearing on our roadways and byways. Vital issues he addresses include present and future technological advances, societal readiness, business aspects, economic considerations, and other ramifications about how this disruptive innovation will transform the world.
Referred to as the "AI Insider" and currently serving as the Executive Director of the Cybernetic Self-Driving Car Institute for Techbrium Inc., he provides a no-holds-barred analysis of how Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning are both a strength and a potential weakness in the effort toward developing true SAE Level 5 self-driving cars.
Based on their systems expertise and their state-of-the-art research, the authors of this outstanding book explore practical and forward-thinking aspects of the emergence of driverless self-driving cars. Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning are explored as key to breakthroughs for self-driving car high-tech innovations. In addition, the authors cover the business, economic, and societal considerations about these autonomous vehicles. This duo has combined their key talents into a vital book packed with new insights and transformational ideas.
Self-driving cars mark the next great shift in mass transportation. Learn about early attempts at self-driving technology, the benefits of driverless cars, controversies surrounding the new technology, innovations that make self-driving cars possible, and the industry's major players.
This emerging "disruptive" technology has its roots in the work of engineers and futurists dating back decades. Author Michael Fallon traces how the software and hardware for self-driving vehicles developed through the years, including major milestones, notable misfires, and efforts from the public and private sectors.
He also spotlights recent breakthroughs that have made self-driving vehicles viable on a mass scale, along with the public debate that these breakthroughs have created.